Horror Theorists Study

Powered by emaze
Within my Emaze Presentation  have studied audience demographic through the use of horror theorists. Researching the 'Hypordemic Theory', 'Propp's Narrative Theory', 'The Two Step Flow Theory', 'Uses and Gratifications' and 'Stephen Price's Theory'.These theories discuss how elements such as age and gender are used to parallel the intensity of horror within a film, this determines the target market of horror viewers.

Comments

  1. Looking at this research, what theorist do you think most applies to you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your comment Matt.
    Overall I believe each of my theories are relatable in some way, whether they elements to take action on, consider or to just be aware of.
    Firstly, The Hypordermic Needle Model is a theory I must take action on. It is important I consider the intensity of disturbing imagery within my horror trailer and allow this to determine the legal rating. This theory will ensure my rating is as accurate as possible.
    Secondly, Propp's Narrative Theory may seem one of irrelevance to the horror genre, however its traditional style used in movies, stories, plays and other medias, has inspired me to creatively manipulate the classical conventions by creating my own interpretations.
    Thirdly, the two step flow theory is another form of communication which allows me to refer to trends within the horror genre. This is something I should keep in mind to ensure my trailer is relevant to my modern day viewers.
    Moreover, the uses and gratifications theory allows me to understand why and what people seek within horror trailers. Taking on social issues and presenting them in my horror trailer it means the audiences can relate better to what I am capturing. However, including social issues it may become more problematic if they are insensitive or offensive, I must make my data clear and correct.
    Lastly, Stephen Prince a horror genre theorist states "any given horror film will convey synchronic association, ideological, and social messages that are a part of a certain period or historical moment". With this in mind it is worth considering a story line that highlights these areas to ensure a level of success in my horror trailer.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts